Powered By Blogger

Friday, January 6, 2012

A Legend In His Own Mind

As I watch former speaker of the house, Newt Gingrich, I am struck by the fact that so many people think that he is such a smart person. He keeps bragging about all of the things he has accomplished. Yes he did manage to wrest control of the congress away from the democrats in the 1990's, and besides being half the team in welfare reform, I challenge anyone to give any other accomplishment of his.
I'll tell you what I remember. After they gained control of congress he came up with a really great sounding scheme called "Contract with America". He is really good at that. Even now he comes with great sounding phrases that don't amount to a hill of beans. Then, just like their party did after the last election, they began to abuse what they considered to be a mandate to do whatever they desired.It's deja vu'. I remember Mr Gingrich shutting the government down trying to bend President Bill Clinton to his will. I remember him persecuting the president for immoral acts when he, himself was doing the exact same thing. Not only that, he took it a step further. He was run out of congress for ehtics violations. I don't know about you, but that tells me that he was filled with pride and arrogance. And we finally got tired of the hypocrisy and "threw the bums out".
And now Mr. Gingrich comes back on the national scene, crying alligator tears and telling us how much he has changed, expecting to have a chance to be President of the U. S. Well, I for one, am not having any of that. When I look at him and hear him speak, there isn't the slightest hint of any kind of change. He is still brash and outspoken, thinking highly of himself. We have his word, which in my opinion isn't worth a plugged nickel.
As I watch him artfully dodge the question of "what he has against people on welfare", I wonder how anyone can believe anything he says. It's just like the issue of him lobbying for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac while collecting money for influencing republican senators in favor of those entities. He then claims he was collecting that cash for being a historian. No matter you call it, he was still collecting cash for services. I guess some just want to believe, but anybody who takes a truly objective look at him can hardly believe that somehow a change for better has occured. I'm skeptical!

No comments:

Post a Comment